You need ideas for hanging pictures? Then here we have the right thing for you, because we show you different hanging, with which your pictures come out big.
Hang pictures properly after arrangement – it’s so easy.
Table of Contents
Arrange pictures with system: Petersburg hanging and checkerboard pattern
Luckily, if you want to hang several pictures on the wall, there are a few best practices that you can follow. If you’re a fan of geometry, you’ll probably like the checkerboard pattern, love the orderly chaos, the St. Petersburg hanging is just right for you.
The St. Petersburg hanging
Things are getting tight with the St. Petersburg hanging: close together, many individual pictures make for an effective overall picture. The big picture is in the foreground here , So that there is still a bit of order in the noise, note the following things:
- Repeat: With the same colors, sizes or picture frames you bring an unobtrusive line in your hanging. If you then spread them over the entire wall, it will be particularly pleasant for the eye.
- Edge: When hanging, you are careful with edges for decent order. This works, for example, if you always keep the same distance between the pictures or if you align several pictures at the top or bottom edge here and there. But do not go too hard, because the slight mess makes the fun and the charm. Also quietly mix round or oval picture frames.
- Which wall? The beauty of the St. Petersburg hanging is that it works on many different walls. It is particularly impressive and impressive on large areas, cozy-cozy if you distribute the hanging over corner. You can also arrange the pictures far down or use the area above the door frame.
- Create template: Transfer the dimensions of the picture frames to cardboard and cut them out. On the floor, you can arrange the pictures in peace and place with some tape as a placeholder on the wall. If you still like the arrangement a few days later, you can grab hammer and nail.
Herewith you create your own picture gallery:
Checkerboard pattern or grid pattern
The checkerboard pattern is strictly symmetrical and looks like drawn on the drawing board. Who likes clear lines, will come here at his expense. For the minimalist look, you’ll need multiple picture frames of the same size – if they’re all the same color, the effect will be the best.
- Size: Whether square or rectangular, the main thing, you bring the frames in exact distances to each other. You should orient yourself on geometric floor plans and hang the pictures so that the outlines form a square or a rectangle.
- Passe-partout: The raster pattern is additionally emphasized, if you use white passe-partouts, so the picture is the same for each image and the outer shapes are repeated again.
- To dye: If you use only a few colors behind the lenses and the pictures are similar, you’ll get the most effect.
The ideal height for pictures
Surely you know that: As soon as a picture hangs too high, it seems somehow strange. After all, nobody is in the mood to get their necks in the picture for a look. That’s why it comes with Pictures also hang on the height at.
- Center of the picture at eye level: Museums hang their pictures at a distance of 1.5 meters from the ground to the center of the picture. So the center lies exactly in the field of vision and at eye level. If you hang individual pictures or several pictures next to each other, you can orientate yourself on this information.
- Series of images: If you want to hang several pictures with differently sized frames in a row, you can align them in the middle, ie all pictures lie with their middle on a line (for example at the height of 1.5 meters).
- Include edges: When hanging the picture frames, you can include existing edges and lines. Think of it as an extension of the upper edge of the door frame, for example – if the edges of the picture frames run along this line, it looks directly harmonious.
- Pictures above the sofa: If you want to hang your pictures over the sofa, the distance between the sofa and the bottom edge of the picture frame should not be too big, as it will quickly seem inharmonious.
- Pictures in staircases: Why not turn the stairway into a gallery? It is particularly harmonious if you keep the same distance to the picture frame from each step, so that the pictures in the lower area run parallel to the stairs.
- Helping Hands: Unsure of the height? Please the family, friends or roommates, if they can hold the picture briefly in the desired place. Then you can step back and take a picture from afar.
Tip: Before you start, get some tips for hanging up in our article To hang up pictures , even without drilling – Tips & Tricks. Here you will learn how to hang pictures and canvases yourself with magnetic paint, nylon thread and nails.
Everything that makes hanging the pictures easy:
3, 5, 7 or more pictures: Why odd numbers work harmoniously
Imagine the following: You see two walls in front of you, four pictures hang next to each other on the left wall, there are five pictures on the right wall. Which wall do you tend to go to? Most likely to the one with the five pictures, because the human eye automatically takes odd numbers are harmoniously true. If you want to hang several pictures, you can easily make use of this knowledge and thus create a coherent impression.
Picture rails for frequent changers: beautiful decoration ideas
You love change? Great, picture bars fit wonderfully to you and your style. On the narrow strips, you can casually lean the frames against the wall and stage them with lanterns, small figures or vases with individual flowers.
- Height: If you put the strips over the sofa, you should not hang them too high, which is quickly uncomfortable. In upright sitting should still be enough space.
- Big and small frames: Larger pictures come to the back, smaller frames you can just put it in front, so it looks nice and casual.
- Mass: If you’ve screwed the bars neatly in the wall, they can hold a lot of weight. But look at the manufacturer’s specifications, from when it is too heavy for the last. Big and heavy pictures should rather be secured with nails or screws on the wall.
Well, does it even itch in your fingers?
At the To hang up pictures It means: try it! Often it takes several attempts until the pictures hang in the right place. It is best to lie down on the floor first and test what looks best first.
You want more inspiration? Then Ina Creativa will show you some great tips for copying: Wandgestaltung: How to create your own wall gallery
Let’s go – have fun Arrange pictures!